Monday, October 3, 2011

Jane Austen How I Love You...

I have a confession...I am... a Jane Austen addict. I know, I know, you're not surprised. I have that look about me that screams I'm in love with Mr. Darcy, Captain Wentworth & Colonel Brandon. There's just something about Pride & Prejudice, Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility (my favorites) that keeps me going back for more, and more, and more. Colin Firth is still Mr. Darcy in my mind (mist or no mist-you know who you are), Alan Rickman is Colonel Brandon (and my Severus) and I have to say the best ever Captain Wentworth was Rupert Penry-Jones (oh my...).

I have been fortunte enough to travel to many Jane Austen sites in Great Britain. Bath, of course, being my personal favorite. I believe no place to be more beautiful than Bath. The Jane Austen Centre is an amazing place. I highly recommend "Tea with Mr. Darcy" in the Regency Tea Room. Tea with Mr. Darcy includes your selection of tea, cheese & cucumber finger sandwiches, a selection of cakes, and a scone with Dorset clotted cream and a seasonal local jam or strawberry jam. Yum! The cheese spread on the sandwiches is scrumptious.

My sister and I also had the opportunity to visit Chawton Village where Jane lived with her sister Cassandra. The house was perfect and I really, really, really wanted to lay down in the backyard and just bask in the Janeness of it all, but I was afraid they would cart me away. Directly across the street is Cassandra's Cupp, a cafe named after Jane's sister. It's lovely. While we were waiting to order, we met a few British ladies who asked if Jane Austen wrote Jane Eyre. It was ever so helpful of me to point out that Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre. She laughed and said how funny it was that she was asking an American this since it's clearly something she should know. I loved it.

A year later we visited Winchester where Jane Austen died. It was not what I expected. It was a very quiet little town. Winchester Cathedral was mighty impressive and we happened to arrive during service so we had to wait. Like that was a hardship. Not very far from the Cathedral is the house where Jane Austen died. It's a quaint little yellow house. There's a marker on the house that indicates it's the house where she died. There is also a sign by the door that says the house is not a tourist attraction but a private home. Oh...the poor souls who live there. They must be bugged constantly by people wanting to take a tour. I have to admit, I would have paid admission. Wonder if they would sell it to me so I could use it as a vacation house. Maybe I could channel Jane in the parlor. Hmmm....Moving on. Once we finally got to go inside Winchester Cathedral we found the marker where Jane is buried. I considered throwing myself down on it screaming Jane... Jane...but I kind of had a feeling I'd get arrested. I know, it's twisted, but that's the stuff obsessions are made of.

Along with my desire to visit all of the Jane places I can before I die, I'm one of those readers who reads  variations and sequels to Pride & Prejudice. I think the start of all of that was Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife by Linda Berdoll. I have since read many a variation and sequel. One of my personal favorite authors is Abigail Reynold and her Pemberly Variations. There is a helpful website called The Best Jane Austen Sequels that has an extensive list of sequels if you are interested and taking up my addiction. It's not been updated for awhile but it's an excellent resource. Another great resource is Jane Austen Today which is one of the blogs I follow that's always updated with new Austen goings on. If you're interested in a list of favorite sequels and variations let me know. I would be happy to provide a list of my favorites.

Happy reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment